Skip to main content

From advertising to adversities


Kunal Chakravarty

Director - Communications & Fundraising

AFAL


I spent 20 years as an advertising and marketing professional before deciding to take on the responsibilities of running a not-for-profit school.

When I told people what I was planning to do, they all either said I was mad or (which amounted to the same thing) brave. But jacking in a career like this to become run a school so late in life wasn’t brave – it was desperate. Though I didn’t admit it at the time, I was entirely burnt out – I had been in the same industry for 20-odd years – and was showing the classic symptoms. I was getting cynical about the value of what I did and of as a whole – what was all this crazy chasing of ephemera really for? 

It would have been much braver (and much madder) for me to quit at 27 when my financial liabilities were limited. Back then, I was still in thrall to the status of what I did (though at the time I would have denied that). The job in itself was part of my identity – it was the impressive part. I feared that without it people wouldn’t want to know me anymore. I wouldn’t be asked to do things. Three years on, the appeal of that status had worn very thin – I knew my close friends and family would like me for what I do.

Secondly, there was a huge financial sacrifice in quitting. My new salary would be barely a fifth of my old one, I had a home loan to pay and practically no savings even now for us a family unit or my child’s future.

My generation was brought up to think that we would do one thing and when we had made enough money or got tired of it, we would stop working altogether. Some of my professional contemporaries have started building portfolio existences and do a bit of this and a bit of that, but the more obvious route – an entirely new career – is still a rarity. This is not because people don’t want to start again, but because no one is showing them how.

Starting again turns out to be much easier, less stressful and less scary than starting out the first time. I often compare myself with my younger colleagues. It has occurred to me that I like my job more than they do, and I’m much less dragged down by it all. The reason is obvious: they need to climb the ladder, to make more money and to impress their managers. I don’t need to do any of these things.

In the end, leaving wasn’t hard. There was almost no jeopardy. The only risk was one I had manufactured myself: having set up a charity to lure others into helping the small non-profit school that I now run, I couldn’t leave if I didn’t like it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Embracing Solar Power: Illuminating a Sustainable Future!

At Akshara High School, we have always been committed to nurturing our students’ minds and the environment around us. Today, we are thrilled to share our exciting journey towards embracing solar power and taking a significant step towards sustainability.  As a school that deeply cares about the environment, we have embarked on this path to harness clean, renewable energy and reduce our carbon footprint. Mridula Chakraborty, our esteemed founder, has always envisioned Akshara as a place where students learn from textbooks and the world around them. She believes that it is our responsibility to instil in our students a sense of environmental consciousness and empower them to be agents of change. On the day of the solar power inauguration, we had the privilege of hosting a workshop for our students on solar energy and climate change. Through engaging activities and discussions, we aimed to educate our young minds about the importance of renewable energy and its impact on the environment.

Planting Seeds of Environmental Consciousness: Why Akshara Believes in Engaging Children in Saving the Environment

Nurturing Environmental Consciousness: By involving children in environment-friendly activities, we instill in them a sense of responsibility towards the planet. They develop a deep understanding of the importance of conservation and become conscious of their impact on the environment. Hands-On Learning: Engaging students in environmental activities provides hands-on learning experiences. They actively participate in tasks such as recycling, gardening, or energy conservation, which deepen their understanding of environmental concepts and foster a love for nature. Empowering Change Agents: Involving children in environmental initiatives empowers them to become change agents. They realize that even small actions, such as reducing waste or planting trees, can make a significant difference. They become advocates for sustainable practices and inspire others to join the cause. Connecting with Nature: By engaging in environment-friendly activities, children develop a strong connection with na

Havas Group India and Akshara Foundation of Arts and Learning (AFAL) partner up as happiness preachers!

  One of the most meaningful partnerships for AFAL has been the one with HavasImpact+ (Havas Positive Impact), the global CSR unit of Havas Group India.   In 2022, through this partnership, HavasImpact+ and AFAL have been conducting a series of activities that not only provide education, and encourage the creative steak in our children, but also impart vocational training. A series of workshops that constituted knowledge-sharing sessions were designed specifically for students aged 11-15 years. The next event was coming together to create a wall of graffiti at the project premises in Mumbai.  For the workshop which had hour-long training sessions, volunteers from Havas Group India visited AFAL premises to interact with the students, imparting training on 3 topics: Design Thinking, Public Speaking, and Introduction to Art. The curated sessions were designed to provide the students with the necessary tools to create a foundation that they’d be able to build upon, thereby moulding them in